San Francisco Suites
Board of Directors Meeting
Organizational Meeting for New Board
Minutes of Open Meeting (draft)
March 11, 2023
Jan Founte, with Inspectors of Election, called the annual election meeting to order at 11:09 AM (via Zoom link) and announced that a quorum of ballots had been achieved, with 346 ballots returned to be opened and counted.
President Meibeyer then assumed the chair for the Board Meeting. Election processing was taking place via Zoom, without audio, as a general meeting convened.
I. Call to Order
President Meibeyer called the annual meeting to order at 11:13 a.m. The meeting was held in person, with a Zoom link available for any owners wishing to attend remotely.
II. Roll Call
Board Members present:
Chuck Meibeyer, President
Jo Ann Trembath, Vice-President
Fred Munroe, Secretary
Jeff Reichel, Member at Large
(Dwight Walker, the Treasurer, was excused)
Cynthia Reid, General Manager
Susan & Max Josselyn, owners
Pamela Murphy (interior designer)
Owners present via Zoom:
III. Owners Forum:
Susan Jocelyn commented that the plants on the roof look beautiful. Susan was also concerned about the overall condition of the carpeting on the stairs. She expressed her interest in having instructions available related to the operation of closed captioning on televisions.
Geoffrey Bellah commended General Manager, staff, and the board for maintaining a very high standard of service, which seems to be waning in other establishments, as we still face challenges from COVID.
IV. President’s Report:
- With the end of the California state of emergency related to COVID, the Suites still have policies in place for procedures relating to guests advising the front desk, upon arrival their vaccination status; signing a Hold Harmless form related to COVID, and presenting a negative COVID test, before attending any event in the board room.
- After discussion, upon a motion by Fred, seconded by Jo Ann to suspend the requirement for vaccination, and to suspend the Board Room test requirement, was recommended to be suspended and then be reviewed again in 6 months. The motion carried unanimously.
- On a motion by Fred and seconded by Jeff the same action was taken with regard to the Hold Harmless agreement, which carried unanimously.
V. Approval of Minutes:
The minutes from the January 21, 2023 board meeting, with one minor correction, were moved for approval on a motion by Jeff, seconded by Jo Ann. With no further discussion, the motion carried unanimously, with the minutes approved as corrected.
VI. Treasurer’s Report:
- The Treasurer provided our now standard single page Dashboard. The report summary narrative for this quarter is being provided as a written summary in the treasurer’s absence, his one-page summary, dated March 6, is being included here and reviewed verbally by the president.
- We have reinvested a little more than $600k of our $856K reserves in US Treasury Bills, as a means of improving our return on these reserve funds.
- Because of the significant, timely payment of 2023 assessments, our operating cash position at the end of 2022 was $615k.
- At the end of 2022, two owners are in arrears on their assessments by more than 90 days.
VII. General Manager’s Report:
- Completing projects during the COVID pandemic has been an ongoing challenge. So many service providers have very limited staff and resources. This was a serious challenge. Our own staff has continued to provide outstanding service to our owners, guests, and board. Cynthia has expressed her great admiration for our staff and those outside providers who have stepped in, including their efforts with our most recent infrastructure challenges.
- Our most recent infrastructure challenge entailed the emergency replacement of the hot water boiler in January for $25,000
- Outstanding assessments owed $102,000 with 39 owners who are now delinquent
- The 2022 delinquent assessment foreclosure auction was held by VOTA on Feb 14. One Master was sold to a new owner. The one Parlor did not sell and is now owned by the Suites.
- All the Roman Shades have been installed to the pleasure of all owners.
- We are finding that many chairs are breaking. Pamela is arranging to repair these as needed.
- Interviews for a new houseman and a front desk staff are proceeding this month.
- The employee of the Quarter is Andrew Gee. He is our overnight front desk staffer. Due to his work hours, he was not present to receive his award and honorarium. His service to the suites and our owners has been flawless.
VIII. Old Business:
- The boardroom chairs now all have new cushions to make them far more serviceable. This was completed without any need to replace any chairs. These cushions are in place today.
- The Spring Share Auction includes 4 parlors and 1 master and will be held on March 15.
(A break in the board agenda was taken at 12:18 pm, to facilitate the announcement of the election results from the Inspector of Elections.)
Election results: The Inspector of Elections announced the results of the Board election and the question-related handling of revenue surplus. Geoffrey Bellah was elected to the one open board seat. The motion to transfer all revenue surplus to the Reserve Account was approved by a majority of voting members.
After this brief break, the board meeting reconvened at 12:34 pm
IX. New Business:
- Pamela Murphy presented samples for lobby wallpaper and replacement carpet in the Suites.
- Cynthia met with Steve Barton to evaluate the removal and replacement of wallpaper.
- Our fire alarm system needs to be replaced, as mandated by SF Fire Department. Based upon the logistical needs of this work and other likely projects, it is suggested that we close the suites for the month of January to complete this and other timely projects. On a motion by Fred, seconded by Jo Ann, and carried unanimously, a subcommittee was appointed (Chuck, Dwight, and Jo Ann) to work with Cynthia, the City Fire Department, and our chosen service providers to address, the planning and scheduling of the Fire Alarm Project, along with all necessary work to be completed in January 2024.
- Jo Ann will continue to work with Chuck, Cynthia and Pamela Murphy on the wallpaper and carpet projects.
- The April “Adopt a Share” announcement will be published this month.
- The possible need for grab bars, shower seats, and a lobby ramp was discussed. Further discussion will continue regarding the lobby ramp, but at this time, on a motion by Jeff, seconded by Jo Ann and unanimously approved; additional bath grab bars shall be installed, and three portable shower seats shall be made available. Guests can have shower seats provided upon request.
X. Next Meeting Date: The meeting of the Board of Directors shall be on July 29, 2023.
XII. Adjournment: On a motion by Jo Ann, seconded by Fred, the meeting adjourned
by unanimous consent at 1:30 p.m., in order to reconvene for the new Board’s brief organizational meeting.
Organizational Meeting of the newly seated board:
The meeting reconvened at 1:32 PM, with President Chuck Meilbeyer presiding.
2023-24 Board Members present:
(Dwight Walker was excused)
On a motion by Fred, seconded by Jeff, it was moved to elect Chuck Meilbeyer to return as President. The motion carried unanimously.
On a motion by Fred, seconded by Chuck, it was moved to elect Geoffrey Bellah, as secretary. The motion carried unanimously.
On a motion by Fred, seconded by Jeff, it was moved to elect Dwight Walker to return as treasurer. The motion carried unanimously.
On a motion by Geoffrey, seconded by Jeff, it was moved to elect Fred Munroe, as Vice President. The motion carried unanimously.
X. Next Meeting Dates 2023-2024: Meeting of the Board of Directors
Saturday, July 29, 2023
Saturday, September 16, 2023
Saturday, November 4, 2023
Saturday, January 6, 2024
Saturday, March 9, 2024
Fred Munroe, Secretary